Do I Need Business Insurance if I Work from Home?

Do I Need Business Insurance if I Work from Home?

Do I Need Business Insurance if I Work from Home?

These days it seems like everyone has a side job, that’s because 29% of workers have some sort of side hustle; especially millennials-where 44% of 25-34 year-olds report having a side gig.

Being your own boss, setting your own hours, calling the shots, and setting your own rates comes with many advantages.  Most people are so busy growing their small business though that they don’t think about the risks.

It’s important to get the right coverage for whatever work you’re doing.  For example, you could be on the hook for expenses if you get into a car accident on the way to pick up a passenger while driving for a ridesharing service or if you are the victim of theft when your in-home stock of LipSense goes missing.

What type of coverage should you get for your small business?

  1. Rider to a homeowner’s or renter’s insurance policy

This is the most inexpensive home-based business insurance.  It is an add-on or rider that expands a homeowner’s or renter’s policy to cover the company.   The cost is usually minimal around $100 a year with about $2,500 of additional coverage for business property and may provide some liability coverage.

This type of insurance may be appropriate for a one-person business without many business-related visitors or valuable equipment.  For example, such coverage may work well for a Pampered Chef distributor or IT Works working from home.

  1. In-home business policy

These policies cover a broader range of contingencies, including theft of funds being taken to the bank for deposit or loss of critical documents.  The plan usually covers up to 3 employees against theft.

The cost often ranges from $250-500 and can cover as much as $10,000 in losses. It covers business equipment and liability for injury, which is important if people are coming in and out of your house for business purposes.

  1. Business owner’s policy

Entrepreneurs who need more than 10,000 of coverage should pay for a business owner’s policy.  Coverage by this type of plan includes damage to or loss of business equipment and other assets, loss of critical records, liability for customer injuries, loss of income or a business interruption in case of power outage from lightning storm or natural disaster, other flood.   Such a policy might also protect you if you asked an employee to run to the store and buy you stamps and they are in an accident.

Many BOP’s start at around $500 and offer coverage up to $4 million.  For those really taking their business seriously, this is probably your best option.

Knowing what coverage is right for you and your side hustle is important.  If you have any questions, need some extra guidance or would like to start your own policy, give us a call.

-AZ Insurance Team


12 Ways to Stay Cool this Summer

12 Ways to Stay Cool this Summer

12 Ways to Stay Cool this Summer in Arizona:

1. Take a swim in your pool or at a public pool.jump in pool

2. Go boating or have a picnic at the lake if you don’t have a boat.pexels-photo-240561

3. Have a water balloon fight.
Fill them up even faster with this handy tool we found:

water balloons

4. Get cheap squirt guns and have a battle!
Here’s a good blaster:
squirt gun fight

5. Set up a slip and slide in your yard or at the local park.slip and slide

6. Play kickball using kiddie pools as the bases & slip and slides for epic home runs!
Kiddie pools are cheap:

7. Play in the sprinklers (avoid them at public parks, it’s usually reclaimed water)
Pro tip: put the trampoline over a sprinkler for even more fun!

8. Go to a local splash pad (great for small children)
Mesa Riverview Park has a great one: 2100 W Rio Salado Pkwy, Mesa, AZ 85201
splash pad

9. Spend the day at a local water theme park.
Sunsplash is a great one in the East Valley:
water park

10. Take a hike to a waterfall, spring, or river.
Check out this list of great water hikes in Arizona:

waterfall hike

11. Go kayaking or paddle boarding.
Get some cheap Kayak Rentals here:

12. Go salt river tubing.
Find all the details here:
salt river tubing

Whatever you end up doing, don’t forget sunscreen, cold drinks, and remember to be safe and have fun!

-AZ Insurance Team

Does my car insurance cover car rentals?

Does my car insurance cover car rentals?

Does my car insurance cover car rentals?

You’re standing at the rental car counter and they hand you an intimidating rental car contract filled with confusing insurance options.  What do you do?  You just want to get to your hotel and on with your family vacation already.  You’re probably thinking, “I have car insurance.  Do I really need to buy their coverage too?”

When it comes to renting a car for domestic travel, this is the most common question.  The answer is: it depends. You want to make sure you’re covered, but you also don’t want to pay unnecessary duplicate coverage’s.

The first thing to do is check your auto insurance policy to see what type of coverage for rental cars may already be included in your personal auto insurance, this can be done with a quick call to your agent or a search of their website.

Insurance you may already have:

If you carry comprehensive and liability coverage on your personal car, coverage typically will extend to your rental car.  If you’re renting a car of similar value to your personal car, your insurance coverage will likely be adequate for the rental.  However, if you’re renting a super nice sports car, the extra coverage offered by the rental company might be a good idea.

You should also check to see if you have personal injury protection or medical payment coverage.  If you carry this coverage already, you won’t need this additional coverage at the rental counter.

Protection you might need:

Collision Damage Waiver:  This transfers financial responsibility from you to the rental car company in case of damage or theft.  It provides coverage for “loss of use” if the rental car company charges for the time a damaged car cannot be used because it’s being repaired.

Personal Effects Coverage: If you have homeowners or renters insurance, your personal items are usually covered, to a limit, even if they are stolen from a rental car.  If you don’t already have a policy that covers this, it may be a good idea to elect this coverage at the rental counter.

Takeaways: Before adding any of the extra rental car coverage’s at the counter, know what your personal auto and homeowners/renters insurance covers.  Chances are you have enough coverage already that extend to the rental vehicle and can save you some money instead.

Pro Tip: If you have a credit card (not a debit card) call them and ask them if you use their card if they automatically add on rental car insurance.  If they say yes, then you don’t have to be concerned about whether or not you should add it on.  Put it on that card and drive away worry free!

-AZ Insurance Team | 480-535-5709 |

5 Reasons to Get Renter’s Insurance Even if you Don’t Own Much

5 Reasons to Get Renter’s Insurance Even if you Don’t Own Much

5 Reasons to Get Renter’s Insurance even if you don’t own much.

If you’re renting a home or apartment, you’ll need an insurance policy to cover your belongings.  Your landlord’s property insurance policy only covers losses to the building itself.  Renter’s insurance is the only way to cover your personal property and certain liabilities.

95% of homeowners have a homeowner’s insurance policy while a mere 37% of renters have renter’s insurance.  Many people incorrectly assume they are covered by their landlord’s policy. Others simply underestimate the value of their belongings; once you start adding up your electronics, clothing, and furniture alone, it quickly adds up to thousands of dollars.

Even if you think you don’t need insurance, here are five great reasons why you should get a renter’s insurance policy today.

1. It’s affordable

The average renter’s insurance policy costs $15 a month; that’s about as much as you pay for a Spotify or Netflix subscription.   Your actual cost will depend on how much coverage you need and the type of coverage you choose; either way it’s pretty cheap.

2. It covers losses to personal property

Personal property like clothes, smaller pieces of jewelry, luggage, computers, electronics and furniture are all covered.  It will also cover your personal belongings, whether they’re in your home, car or with you while you travel.  There are limitations when your personal property is away from your house but it’s better than not being covered.

3. It covers loss to personal property from perils besides just theft, including:

  • Explosion
  • Falling objects
  • Fire or lightning
  • Riot or civil commotion
  • Smoke
  • Vandalism
  • Water damage
  • Windstorm or hail
  • Damage cause by aircraft or vehicles

4. It provides liability coverage

This provides protection if someone is injured while in your home or if you accidentally hurt anyone anywhere in the world.  Also, if your playful child accidentally hurts another child, it’ll be covered.  It will pay court judgments and legal expenses too up to the policy limit.

5. It covers your additional living expenses if there’s a claim

So say one of your knucklehead neighbors causes a fire that damages your apartment or home that you rent.  What if it’s damaged so badly that you can’t live there while the damage is being repaired?  There’s coverage in a renters policy that will cover you to go live somewhere else while your place is being rebuilt or repaired.

As you can see, renter’s insurance covers a lot more than just your belongings being stolen from your house or apartment.  It’s definitely worth it.

AZ Insurance Team | 480-535-5709

Texting and Driving is about to be illegal in Arizona.

Texting and Driving is about to be illegal in Arizona.

Let’s face it, texting and driving is a real problem and nearly everyone does it.  If you’re not texting, you’re changing the music on your playlist, switching podcasts, or checking the score on the game.  Either way, your eyes aren’t on the road while you’re driving a 2 ton vehicle down a neighborhood street where kids are playing or on the freeway with stop and go traffic.  For those of you responsible enough to not let any of these distractions into your driving habits, we say “thank you”.

Distracted driving is not only dangerous, it’s also costly.  Since 2011, the average auto insurance premium has increased 16 percent to $926.  Insurance companies say the large spike is partly caused by more drivers distracted on their smartphones and getting into collisions.

Last year, more than 40,000 people died on the road, which is up 14 percent since 2015.  This is the steepest rise in 53 years.  These aren’t just teenagers causing accidents; State Farm says that 36 percent of all drivers text and drive – we tend to think it’s a lot more.

In an effort to combat collisions caused by distracted driving, Arizona lawmakers approved the first ban on texting while driving in April.  The bill forbids all drivers under the age of 18 from using any wireless device while they hold a learner’s permit and extends into the first six months of their license.   The hope is to develop good habits in new drivers.

If Governor Doug Ducey signs the bill for newly licensed drivers, it will take effect July 1st of 2018.  Some Arizona lawmakers fear this texting ban is a gateway to making it illegal for everyone statewide, while others encourage such a law.

Either way, distracted driving is extremely dangerous and is going to make your insurance cost more, year after year.  Whether it’s illegal or not yet, don’t do it!  Just remind yourself “it can wait”.

-AZ Insurance Team

3 Ways to Avoid 1,600 Wrong-Way Drivers in Arizona.

3 Ways to Avoid 1,600 Wrong-Way Drivers in Arizona.

The Arizona Department of Public Safety received more than 1,600 reports of a wrong-way driver in 2016.

Raul Garcia, public information officer for the Arizona Department of Public Safety, said “A very small percentage of that 1,600 has resulted in a crash, and in many instances, these people reorient themselves or get to where they are going and exit the highway.”

However, 27 of those incidents have had serious injury or death and more than 100 of the involved drivers were arrested with suspicion of impairment.

So, what can be done to stop or help prevent future accidents involving wrong-way drivers?

The Arizona Department of Transportation is planning to test a prototype wrong-way detection system along a 4 mile stretch of Interstate 17.  They will use existing in-pavement sensors to detect and alert state troopers of wrong-way drivers. Read more about this plan here.

There are a few things you can do to avoid wrong-way drivers too.

  • Avoid driving in the fast lane at night, because wrong-way drivers believe it is the slow lane.
  • Avoid driving late at night (past midnight i.e.) and on weekends when more drunk drivers are on the road
  • Take public transportation where available.

If you do see a wrong-way driver, slow down and get to the shoulder.  Once you’re able to safely come to a stop, call 9-1-1.  You can also sound your horn and flash your lights as a way to alert the wrong-way driver.

There are no significant differences between Arizona’s figures and national figures on wrong-way crashes, but every preventable crash and life that can be saved is worth the extra effort.

-AZ Insurance Team

*This photo provided by the Arizona Department of Public Safety shows the mangled remains of cars

If your car is broken into, what’s actually covered?

If your car is broken into, what’s actually covered?

Imagine this, you’re running out the door in the morning to get to work and find that your car has been broken into.  Someone smashed your window, stole your laptop, radio and gifts for your mom.  Your personal space has been invaded by a stranger and your belongings taken.

You can make a claim on your auto insurance policy to have the damages fixed as soon as possible, but what items are actually covered by your auto insurance?

Break-ins usually occur when a burglar spots valuable items inside a vehicle.  Some common items that are stolen include:

  • Car stereos
  • Cell phones
  • Laptops
  • Small Electronics
  • Purses or Wallets

With most insurance policies, damages due to theft will be covered under Comprehensive coverage.  Check your auto policy to see if you have Comprehensive coverage if you’re the victim of a break-in.

Of the items listed above, usually only the car stereo would be covered by your auto insurance policy, but even that’s not always guaranteed.  If your stereo is detachable, it’s not considered a permanent and attached item to your vehicle.

Well, you’re not out of luck yet.  If you have homeowners or renters insurance, the items stolen from your vehicle are likely covered.  You’ll need to file a police report and pay your deductible to make a theft-related insurance claim.

If you don’t already have homeowners or renter’s insurance, definitely consider it; especially if you ever leave pricey or priceless possessions in your car.


Get a free homeowners or renters insurance quote now!